Skiing in Gulmarg (1st Feb – 8th Feb 2023)
Reviews 0 Reviews0/5
Vacation Style Holiday Type
Activity Level Moderate
Group Size Large Group
“God paints in many colours; but He never paints so gorgeously… as when He paints in white.” You will find these words of G.K. Chesterton come alive when you visit Gulmarg in winter! Gulmarg is a small town tucked away in Kashmir which is to the extreme north west of India. The top of the Gulmarg Gondola is located on Mt Apharwat, which is part of the Pir Panjal Range of the Western Himalayan Mountains. The ski season in Gulmarg starts around Christmas and goes all the way up to March depending on the snow conditions. This is the time that the sleepy town turns into a carnival of skiers from as far as Russia, Australia, New Zealand, Europe and USA.
Ever imagined what it feels like to be surrounded by white as far as your eyes can see, to speed down the hill, just you and your skis, no cars no machines, just you zooming past other skiers and tall green pine trees.
Imagine no more for the time has commeth, to slide down the white powder amidst the majestic western Himalayas.
- To and fro drive from Srinagar Airport to Gulmarg.
- 5 Nights accommodation on twin sharing basis at Pine Palace Resorts, Gulmarg with all meals (B,L,D)
- Skiing gears i.e, Ski boots, Skis and Ski Poles. (Helmets not included)
- Skiing instructor for the full duration of the course.
- Drag Lift passes for students at Baby slope/ Highland slope
- Accommodation at a house boat (subject to availability) at Srinagar. Accommodation on twin sharing and B&B basis (only breakfast included)
- Transfer to and fro Kathmandu Airport
- Airfare to and fro Kathmandu (KTM- DEL-SXR and back unless chosen otherwise)
- Meals before reaching Gulmarg and after departing from Gulmarg
- Day pass of Gondala Ride (INR 1200/-)
- Meals in Srinagar (only breakfast included)
- Helmets for Skiing
- Personal insurance and evacuation charges
- All expenses of personal nature such as drinks, laundry, tips to guides, drivers etc.
- Visa fees if applicable
- Insurance against or for accidents / loss of life, loss of goods etc.
- Any item not included in the above “cost Includes”.
- Costs incurred due to natural calamities, strikes, and break downs and beyond the control of Sacred Summits (P) Ltd. and its associates.
Arrive In Srinagar and Drive to Gulmarg
Board the flight from Kathmandu airport and head to Delhi. From there, catch another flight to Srinagar and board an awaiting vehicle that will drive you to Gulmarg. On arrival collect the gears and attend the briefing.
Kathmandu-Delhi : 1hr 45 mins
Delhi – Srinagar : 1hr 30 mins.
Srinagar – Gulmarg: 60kms / 2 hrs / 2650m
After breakfast, walk to the ski slopes wearing your skiing gear. It’ll be a little difficult in the beginning walking on those heavy boots but one will get use to it soon. Learn the first basics of skiing including, balancing, stopping, gear handling and safety protocols
Snow plough is one of the most basic techniques learned by beginners. “Pizza” as it is also called is the process of going downhill in a controlled way. Packed lunch will be served on the slopes and dinner back at the resort
Snow Plough Turns
The next step of skiing is learning how to turn. Snow plough turns is the process of turning in a snow plough position with control and limiting the amount of turning as desired.
After snow plough turns, basic swing is the natural progression. Basic swing is also a type of turning technique used once the student has gotten confidence in stopping, sliding down the slope and doing snow plough turns
Skiing with the big boys
After breakfast ride the Gondola (ride fare not included ~INR 1200/- ) and ski with the big boys on Phase 1. Phase 1 is a 4km long winding stretch of plowed slope where students can practice all the skills they’ve learned and also do some tricks.
Drive down to Srinagar
After breakfast, say goodbye to the snow and drive down to Srinagar for a free day of sightseeing and shopping of Kashmiri handicrafts not to forget the sumptuous local cuisine. Spend the night in Srinagar in a houseboat (subject to availability). *Meals not included
After an early break drive to the airport at least 3 hours prior to departure. Due to security reasons, there will be two security check points before entering the airport. Fly to Delhi and onwards to Kathmandu.